The last "ugly paper" post has garned a lot of conversation, both here on the blog and on SOMH Facebook, and I've taken a little heat for calling it that, but it's been fun to read, anyway! Some of you refuse to use it--yet for others it was their favorite out of the pack! Maybe we should arrange a giant paper swap, eh?!
Here's a few more easy cards you can whip up with odds and ends of that paper after you've used most of it up by focusing on the more banal pattern on the other side.
TIP: You may have noticed I have been using my Crop A Dile to punch through the balsa wood embellishments so I can hang them on the card with twine. Just a fun trick to make them even more versatile! You can also stain them with a marker, stamp directly on them, or sponge or watercolor them, to coordinate with your project, if the natural color isn't doing it for you.
Here's some ideas for working with "strongly" patterned papers!
- pull out the neutral and emphasize it, or use that neutral as your card base
- use much wider borders on all your matted layers than you normally would
- choose the softest shade from the pattern and use that as your main color
- cut it into strips or punch it into smaller pieces to use as an accent rather than a main background
- use a bold stamped image/sentiment to hold it's own against the overwhelming pattern
- and if all else fails... use the pattern on the other side!
I'm a clean-and-simple kinda gal at heart, and I love this last one probably best of all. Just three equal strips of paper, a quick embellishment, and a single stamped sentiment.
This paper (which is truly not that ugly, just a little hard on the eyeballs when it is in it's native 12x12 form) is part of a wonderful and truly very pretty patterned paper pack called Sweet Sorbet. It's available for FREE for two more days, with any $50 order. Click here to visit my website and pull together and order so you can get your freebies! There are stamp sets, kits, an embossing folder, a punch, digital scrapbooking options, and much more, all available as reward choices during Sale A Bration 2014. But you'll have to get a move on--everything ends at midnight CST on March 31st!