Hooray for September first! We can all finally dig into the 2016 Holiday Catalog with abandon. I'm going to be sharing honest product reviews with lots of pictures and any tips I learned along the way, so YOU can make the best choices for your crafting buck!
The first thing I wanted to tackle as a personal project was the new Tin of Tags gift set. I've fallen in love with our line of tins for card organization, so I couldn't wait to see what a "tin of tags" might be. I was not disappointed!
First off--they were easy (whew!) Everything was already die-cut for me; all I had to do was stamp the pieces and then layer them together using (or not using) the full-color, close-up pictures in the instruction booklet. The hardest thing I had to do was glue those little sequins down. LOL! But they went pretty easily with the Fine-Tip Glue Pen.
Look at the tassels!!! Love them. This kit is the only way to get the red ones; there is an assortment pack of Silver and Black ones in the Halloween section, though. I am snagging some of those to save for graduation season next spring!
Secondly, you get a LOT in the kit! There's enough pre-cut tags and layers to make THIRTY tags, three each of ten different designs. So you're not gonna get bored, that's for sure. I made one tag of each kind exactly according to the directions, and then I shot off in my own direction and made the other twenty tags completely randomly. It was fun!
Here's my tag board with all thirty on there (I had to find more clothespins!)
Third, it's just about exactly the right amount of time. I'd say that working without interruption (did I mention my whole family is back to school?) I got the entire kit done, surface tidied up and everything packaged back up in the cute little polka-dot tin in about 1.5 hours. So it's perfect if you want to get a project done in one sitting, which is pretty much what modern crafters can spare, these days!
If you're making the tins full of tags to give as gifts, you could do them assembly-line style and probably whittle that time down to an hour, hour-and-ten or so per tin. Not too shabby for a quick, handmade Christmas gift for teachers, coworkers, neighbors and friends.
Things to know before you buy:
- The stamp set is not included in this kit. That's designed so that you can get "refills" of the tags without having to pay for a second, third, fourth stamp set every time. So it's actually a big plus!
- You can buy the suggested set, Tin of Tags (wonder how long it took them to come up with THAT name?!) or you can just use any Christmas saying set you have on hand. I bought the matching one because I love the big snowflake.
- If you do buy the coordinating Tin of Tags stamp set, you can use some of the generic non-holiday stamps on tags year-round. Bonus!
- Keep an eye on the amount of twine you're using. I was just cutting it off as I went but I only had a couple of inches left by the time I got to the final tag, so you might want to measure and divide up the seven yards in advance just in case.
- When they say the wooden snowflake embellishments are fragile, they mean it. Thankfully, the banner covers any busted spots. I'm just sharing this for a friend, of course (ahem).
- You can get by with less than the suggested number of colors of ink. If you have to, you can skip the Old Olive and Crushed Curry and just use Real Red and Island Indigo or any other deep blue.
There you go! I hope you've enjoyed my product review of this hot-off-the-press new Tin of Tags kit from Stampin' Up. If you're excited to order it for yourself or as gifts, let's go shop with Lyssa right now!
Thanks for stopping by Song of My Heart today! Check out more product reviews all this month as we dive into the fall and winter season with abandon!
Wow - love seeing all your tags together, that is a great way to display them all. And goodness, what a ton of great info Lyssa! I love your review of the kit, it's super helpful as I go through my wishlist and try to decide where to spend my limited budget. Thanks so much!!
Posted by: Deepa M. | 09/05/2016 at 07:07 PM